Friday, 23 August 2013

Hey you guys!!! - Cannon Beach, Oregon

Again the bed in Kennedy school was too good and we woke way later than planned. Once checked out, we decided to discover Portland. To be honest, until I was fed, I noticed very little of the town. After tea and beef sandwich, the words tax free shopping in Portland had a monumental impact!

Download photo 1.JPG (67.6 KB)

Download photo 2.JPG (52.8 KB)

Download photo 3.JPG (58.3 KB)

We headed out for the great highway towards Cannons Park beach, where part of Goonies, and less importantly Twilight, was filmed. It was a highlight for me, as its one of my all time favourite movie. Before we found the Haystack, we headed for a bar/hardware store where decided to warm up with a cup of tea. The waitress looked at us blankly and burst out laughing. Turned out she thought we were putting the accent and request on! Guess we were too typically English...

Download photo 4.JPG (279.1 KB)

The Haystack did not disappoint. I was so excited that I was literally jumping for joy. It was very misty by the sea so the rocks looked like it was rising for the cloud. Totally worth the ride!!

Download photo 1.JPG (40.8 KB)

Download photo 2.JPG (40.9 KB)
The truffle shuffle!!!

Download photo 3.JPG (49.4 KB)

The town itself was very cute with picturesque shops and restaurants.

Download photo 4.JPG (71.5 KB)

The drive down route 101 was pretty simple. It was supposed to be a scenic route. Unfortunately, the sun set and it became very dark so not much was appreciated. The journey took a turn for the worse when there were roadworks on the route and there was fog. I slowed down to make sure I didn't hit the tree, when out of nowhere a man in yellow jacket holding a slow sign popped up. I slowed down even more and our hearts leapt when we noticed his expressionless face. Zenobia was practically on my lap, slowly whispering to drive faster. 

We made out of that hairy moment relatively intact, but the worse was yet to come. Further on the fog worsened and I could only see a metre ahead of us. All I could imagine was someone lying on the road forcing us to stop and someone jumping out to kill us. Fortunately, the tension lightened when we told each other stories when we were scared and we nearly pee'd ourselves laughing instead. 

Finding a motel was difficult and draining as everywhere we stopped en route seemed closed with no reception staff. We did find a best western motel, but they were charging us extortionate amount. The staff was lovely and informed us further up there were cheaper and fairer priced rooms. Finally we found bed. 



View Larger Map



No comments:

Post a Comment