Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang- LA/Santa Monica

To change pace we decided to go to Griffiths Park and visit the observatory. It is said to have the best views of the LA basin, and I love the observatory building. It's so unpretentious and cool, in my opinion. Of course, a lot of movies were made here, which always piques my interest.




















Last time I was at the observatory, it was closed, so I was looking forward to see what the fuss was about. Neither of us were disappointed. It was pretty simple, but it had a lot physics and chemistry which brought out the nerd in us, especially Zenobia when she saw the Tesla coil and stood there explaining the theory and its uses. Not just a pretty chick! It's a fun place for all ages, just to press buttons and interact. It simply did not disappoint.






















 The most popular hike is the Mount Hollywood hike, which starts by the observatory car park. Starting off I was quite perky, determined to go farther, especially we saw many running/ jogging past us. There were also a group of young teenage girls running up and down, some more energetic than others, pushed and shouted at by, I suppose, their coach. We were both tempted to shout "you meanie!" at him, except that he looked like he may make us do push ups as well, so we forged ahead. It was a hard walk- not because of the length or the incline, but more because of the sun beating down on us relentlessly, despite it being late afternoon.





















 Our way back was just as slow, partly because we missed the signs for the highway and ended up driving farther up than we were supposed to. Luckily, the roads are straight so we more r less ended up in the right place. One thing I realised about road signs in US is that they don't give much warning about turn offs and it's a blink and you will miss it. And I have missed a few!

 To end our night we went to a bar in Main street, Santa Monica, to meet a new acquaintance- Arnaud, a French sportsman. He shared his adventures in his road trips in USA with us, and we are already starting to plan the next one! He also took us to Bungalow, a bar in Fairmont hotel. It's outdoors near the entrance, with cool music and even cooler crowd, ranging from tourists to movie wannabes. Everyone was chatty and young and free. Very easy to make friends here, if you want.





No comments:

Post a Comment